France is famous for fine wine and great cheese, and with this easy recipe you can be enjoying both in less than an hour. Gougères are traditional cheese puffs dating back to 17th century France, and are the perfect accompaniment to a glass of Riesling, Pinot Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc (all of which you can find in our Wine Shop). Today we're making them with our delicious Compte Gruyère cheese (straight from France!); on sale right now for 20% off!
- 1 cup water
- 7 tablespoons organic butter
- 1 1/4 cups organic flour
- 2 cups grated Compte Gruyère (set aside extra)
- 4 organic eggs
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk; set aside for glazing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and butter and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in flour until batter takes the form of a rough doughy ball.
- Add eggs one by one slowly, stirring constantly.
- Once eggs are incorporated and batter is smooth, add the cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon dough onto baking sheet in walnut-sized balls. You may have to shape them into balls with your hands or two spoons. Make sure to give them room.
- Glaze each ball with egg yolk and lightly sprinkle with extra Gruyère.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until puffy and golden. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and reheat in a hot oven.